Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Knit This!

As you know one of my creative endeavors for the year was to try out knitting and maybe even pick up. So Jessica and I signed up for a knitting class a Joann's. Despite the fact that our teacher was Kuku for coco puffs, I did actually learn a little bit, now I just have to find time to practice so I can decide if its something I really want to pick up.

So let me take you through my first knitting masterpiece (aka a 3x4 inch swatch of orange yarn :-))

Step 1. Casting On (there are 2 ways to cast on to get your project started either knitting on or long-tail cast on which is what I found easier.


Once you have your first row cast on then you can start knitting, which is a bit awkward at first but I found holding the needles a certain way did help (of course not the text book way but whatever)


Then basically after that you are transferring your knit knots from one needle to the other (note you always hold your work in your left hand so once your knots are moved to the right, then you switch hands) and it starts to look like this.

Add VideoIt was surprisingly hard to keep an even tension so that will be my biggest challenge to figure out. And after a while of knitting the same stitch (Garder I think?) Then we learned a different stitch (purl) so the when you see those nice v style knit sweaters it is a combination of both (stockinette).
Then after a while you can switch between the two and it starts to create a pattern. We finished off class by learning how to bind of the piece and voila here have my finished piece!


Here's to all the knitters out there - you are amazing because it isn't easy! To another creative week!

P.S. To all of you are wondering about my teaching - some of my students have been very creative which has resulted in my brain feeling like it is going to explode, so I may have re-categorize teaching into a category that is not 'creative' :-)

0 comments: